Thursday, November 7, 2013

Soup Weather



When the weather turns chilly and windy, warm soup really hits the spot!  This morning before I headed to work at the store, I gathered a handful of jumbo carrots and some peppers from the fridge.  At the store I gathered some potatoes, garlic, and a big, white onion.  In less than 10 minutes, I had everything prepped, seasoned, and layered in the pot set to simmer.  I added more water and some soy sauce to the broth about 30 minutes later. Vegetable soup was ready in time for my lunch.

For dinner, I plan to sauté some beef tips or chicken--depending on what sounds good later--and add that to my soup bowl with some peas.  For leftovers tomorrow, I might try a bowl of soup (in half of a baked acorn squash) with sliced sausage added.  This process of adding ingredients to create a new meal out of the one just prepared is known as "morphing" (as in metamorphosis)!

This week, customers shopped for ingredients for potato soup with ham and also for making chili. What kind of soup do you and your family like to make?